Monday, March 16, 2009

The Past 16 Months in 16 Points

What can I say, it's been over a year since I've written. Let me explain what has gone on since then. No, there is no time. Let me sum up. (Excuse blatant Princess Bride reference).

1) I'm continuing to throw things farther. 63.79m in the hammer in 2008. Hopefully more in 2009.
2) Through an odd sequence of events, I'm a photographer for Eishockey News Magazine, a German (yes) hockey magazine. I get to take pictures of the Minnesota Wild (NHL) and have had some pretty kickass experiences doing it, like shooting from the bench 3 feet away from the players and coaches.
3) Cause of #2, I bought a really expensive lens for my camera. The one that I said I couldn't afford, oh, like 3 posts ago. I still couldn't afford it.
4) I got invited to an "Emerging Elite Coach's Clinic" (expenses paid) at the US Olympic Training Center in sunny Chula Vista, CA. I met and learned from some olympic gold medalists. You know, no big deal.
5) My buddy St. G got married in the Prov(idence) in the summer of 2008. Out of my group of friends from camp, 2 are now married. Coincidentally, the last two that any of us expected to get married. No offense guys.
6) I started grad school in the fall of 2008 at the University of Minnesota for a MS in Water Resources. 2 more years of college, woo!! Unfortunately, it's not the same as undergrad...
7) I started my 5th year coaching the throwers at Macalester College and College of St. Catherine. My throwers are tearing it up this year.
8) I became an unofficial photographer for the St. Kate's athletic department. I shoot their games, give them my pictures for the website, and then they plug my website for parents to buy pictures. Quality gig.
9) I set up a website to attempt to make photography a self funding hobby. Easier said than done. But after 4 months I'm out of the red! At least as far as website setup goes...
10) I threw at the US Indoor Track and Field Championships in Feb 2009, my 3rd year in a row. Got 8th. Competed OK, but wish I got a better mark.
11) I saw most of my extended family for the first time in ages over the summer of 2008 in Lake George. It was great to reconnect, especially with the younger cousins who actually are their own people now and pretty cool to talk to.
12) I spent Christmas/New Years 2009 bouncing between Albany and New York City (ok Jersey City) and I wish I could spend more time with my friends out east.
13) I got addicted to Battlestar Galactica cause of my sister. There's 2 episodes left in the entire show! Great show, it'll be sad to see it go but a relief now that I don't have to spend time watching it anymore.
14) My roommate/land lady has spent the past month redoing her bathroom, which is about, oh, 12 inches from my bedroom door. Almost done! And I don't get to use it...
15) Backing up a bit...went skiing up at Lutsen Mountain last year. Yes, they have skiing in Minnesota, but the double black diamond trails here are equal to about a purple squares in NY, which are probably like the green circles out west.
16) I'm on spring break!! Which is probably why I'm spending time posting. See you next time...as always, no promises. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home